Sunday, December 14, 2008

How To Save a Life

"Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness. And I would have stayed up with you all night, had I known how to save a life..." - The Frey "How To Save A Life"

Losing a friend is a tough task. Sometimes it happens without you even knowing it. As a new year approaches and I look at who is in my life and why I begin to really examine my relationships. See I've always been the type of person that was bad in romantic relationships because I allowed whoever I was with to treat me in a way that I did not deserve to be treated. I'm growing, and learning and now I know better. But now I'm starting to notice this same trend in my friendships as well. I mean friendships all have their roles just as people do but I am realizing that I need to have the same standards in friends that I have in lovers. See I see that when I care for someone whether it be a friend or companion I have the tendency to do too much, be there too much, offer too much of myself while they have the tendency to take and never give back. I can't fault them for this because I believe human instinct is self preservation but since it has hurt me I must be the one to stop the cycle. I have come to learn that I cannot get mad at someone for doing something to me that I allow to be done.

There are times in life when you look at your life and the people in your life and you realize these people are great but maybe some just aren't great for me. Not at this time and not anymore. The saying goes, "For everything there is a season..." and I've seen alot of seasons end this year. I've mentioned before that I greive when I come to an end of a season but this time I truly believe that this will be for the better. You have to prune the rosebush in order for it to excel. This december I'm finishing up my pruning and I recognize that this is my preparation to thrive. So instead of the usual bickering, resent, hurt feelings, and bruised egos that go along with the end of a season of friendship; I offer my love, respect, and best wishes along with saying it was wonderful while it lasted...


Until the next song plays...
- Jazz

No comments: