Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Girl

"I'm your girl, you're my girl, we're your girls; don't you know that we love you?" - Destiny's Child "Girl"

As I sit here and reminisce on this Thanksgiving Eve I am clear of one of the things that I am most thankful for: My friends or "Girls"... The close knit group of young women that I consider my friends. Friend; I don't take that word lightly in the least bit. When I call someone my friend that is my way of inviting them into my village. The loving, caring, intimate village that I am creating as a safe haven for not only myself but my child as well. My friends are the people that I feel that I can be completely transparent, honest, open, and authentic with; ones that I can share my world and my views and my love.

2008 has been a rough year for friendship in my village. There were a few friends that for whatever reason are no longer apart of this village. When I think about them I grieve. I grieve for the memories, the laughter, the ups and the downs. I grieve because according to Meyers-Briggs I'm a "feeler" and that's how we process our information. Most of all I grieve because these people are not bad people and the times that we shared were good times. I think about the decisions and behaviors that led us to this moment in time; and I wonder what could or would have made it better if anything? I wonder how these people feel about me now; and I wonder if they are able to remember the good times or if hurt and resent has wiped those memories away?
I hope not. I hope that even though there is no longer a shared bond between us, there is still the remembrance of those belly laughs, and late night phone conversations that we shared. That is the thing that will help us both become better friends in the future.

As for the women (and men) currently in my village: As I said before I am truly thankful for each and everyone of them. This year more than ever these individuals have been not only a source of inspiration, but also a source of moral, emotional, and mental support. This year has been hard. I have been through alot and I have had people in my corner, that I can say with the utmost conviction, truly loved me and wanted the best for me. As I have grown as a person we have also grown as friends and each time we're together whether it be at work everyday or once in a while during the holidays it's like no time has passed. I trust them with my life and even more important I trust them with my love...

In friendship I always want those close to me to know how important they are to me. I want them to understand just how much I depend on their love. So on this Thanksgiving Eve this is dedicated to my "girls"; you wonderful women that know how to make me smile when I'm crying and laugh when no one else is laughing. To you who are the "wind beneath my wings", and "my strength when I'm weak"; I love and appreciate you. And always remember... I'm your girl!


Until the next song plays...
- Jazz

No comments: