Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Change Gon Come

"It's been a long long time coming
But I know a change gon come
O yes it will..."
-Sam Cooke

1/20/09... The day is finally here. The time has come and change has arrived. This date most famously is marked by the dawning of the new era in American government, the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States of America. The first black president. Wow, few thought that this day would ever happen let alone that they would live to see the day. But today for me is not only about what's going on at the Capitol. Today for me marks the ushering in of a new life 24 years ago. Yes my birthday, the day that I celebrate the beginning of my life.

It's funny that there is so much hoopla surrounding this day. I mean there have been bumper stickers, commercials, websites, etc. all counting down to what has always been my birthday. To me it's quite symbolic. Mostly because the awful things that have been my life since this date 2008 I have very much been looking forward to my 24th year. Looking forward to being able to wipe the slate of bad intentions and even worse decisions clean. Looking forward to the hope of 24 and finally looking away from the peril that was 23. America is doing the same thing. We the people have come together since November 4th in a way that I never knew was possible. Everyone got together on one accord because they yearned for two things. Two things that over the past 8 years seemed all but lost. Two things that were scared out of us by the exiting administration, and deemed impossible by the skeptics. Those two things are HOPE and CHANGE.

How beautiful it was to watch the millions of people on the mall braving the cold, crowds, and organized chaos coming together singing songs, fellowshiping with one another, eager to begin again. 2009 as I have said before seems like the new beginning not only in my life but in the world. So many things tried to choke out the human spirit in 2008 and yet we as humans all over the world did not quietly go into the night but banded together in HOPE for CHANGE.

I'm overjoyed by the emotions of the day and the parallels that are being revealed to me. Forever will this day be marked as the renaissance of not only the American people and their faith in their country but for me it will also mark the official rebirth of me. It has been a long time coming but finally I can see that it will come, is coming, and will be embraced.


Until the next song plays...
-Jazz

No comments: