Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

"But deep in my heart
the answer it was in me
And I made up my mind
to find my own destiny"
-Lauryn Hill

Wow this new year has been so good for me. I have boldly set out to make this one of the best years of my life. That being said I am also about to embark on yet another Jasmine year. Yes the anniversary of my birth is just around the corner which means the beginning of my 24th year. I'm excited. Excited because this year is my year of intention. This year in my life I vow to live my life to the fullest and not in the cliche sense but in the sense of doing things, and making moves. Too many times in the past I have sat through 365 days of reactive life. Waiting for things to happen, looking for change, wishing for difference. Not this year.

For the first time in a long time I am so content in me. This is big for me. I am feeling comfortable in my own skin and loving the person I am and becoming. It's actually kind of a weird feeling. I mean after so much time of being insecure and not fully loving me I feel like at this very moment I am finally free. I notice even the small changes like the way I have come to appreciate my "me" time. I say all of this not to write an ongoing love letter to myself; which actually is not a bad thought; but to show how I decided one day that enough was enough. Once I did this and actively started working on loving me, here I am stronger and more whole. So I must apply this to the rest of my life. I believe I have. I am becoming more intentional about the relationships I have in my life. Intentional about the goals I am setting for myself, intentional about my parenting skills, and most of all I am trying to be intentional about the words that come out of my mouth.

I saw this quote today, "Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they become your actions. Watch your actions; they become your habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny."
This really spoke to me. This quote is exactly why I know I must never tire on my quest to be intentional because controlling your thoughts and being completely intentional about everything in your life is controlling your destiny. Only you have the power to control your destiny. So in life my goal is to be present, to be courageous, to be confident, and most of all to be intentional.


Until the next song plays...
-Jazz

No comments: