Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ready for Love

"I am ready for love
All of the joy and the pain
And all the time that it takes
Just to stay in your good grace"
-India Arie

To be ready for somthing is defined as being, "completely prepared or in fit condition for immediate action". This is an interesting definititon to me especially when related to being ready for love.

This blog has been a very personal account of my thoughts and feelings thus far so I don't see any reason to hold back now. This song that has seemingly crept its way into my soul has actually forced me to really think about the words. Not just the music that, if you have ever heard this song, slowly lulls you into a reflective trance but the actual words. What exactly is my girl India trying to say to me? Well after much time listening, singing, thinking, and personal reflection, I think I may finally understand. I believe very strongly that love is a journey, a deity, an action, an emotion, a reaction, even a declaration. Love is all of these things. Love is something that none of us will ever completely figure out. Love is also, depending on what it may be at that time, something that we must prepare ourselves for if we are looking for it's full power.

Love is such a force. Real, pure, unadulterated love is a force that cannot be contained, cannot be silenced, cannot be manufactured. This love is the source of freedom for the soul, nourishment for the spirit, wholeness for the lover. To answer those of you wondering, I am not speaking of any specific love. Not talking about a man, woman or child, just sharing my revelation. For a long time I was caught up in defining love in all of its forms but just recently am I realizing that love cannot be defined.

For me recognizing that this powerful, relevent force can't be defined along with recognizing that in order for me to experience all that it is and has to offer I must submit myself and prepare myself. In another part of this song she states, "If you'll take me in your hands I will learn what you teach..." I have spent so much time lately learning from love, learning to love, learning about love, and even learning how to be loved.

In a roundabout way I am saying all of this to say that I too am ready; completely prepared; in fit condition for immediate action; for LOVE. And all it has to give, and teach, and reveal. I am ready to love myself, my son, my family, my friends, my world, my life, my solitude, my ups, my downs, my everything. I'm ready to immerse myself in what love has for my future... Ready... Finally...

Until the next song plays...
-Jazz

1 comment:

Lyrik Marie said...

I think people confuse love and forget the true meaning of love this is why majority of people who think they're ready for love always find themselves heart broken because of love .. This was beautifully written Jazz .. I printed it out to hang on my wall .. Well done